Wednesday, 29 June 2016

Extremism on all sides - my heart is broken

I am heartbroken to hear of the death of Sufi singer Amjad Sabri.

 

Extreme Nationalism and Religious fundamentalism have much in common. They may be on opposing sides but they are ultimately motivated by the same hateful and narrow minded forces.
How can we seek to maintain core values governed by tolerance and compassion in an increasingly volatile world?

I agree with Guardian columnist Molly Crabapple today when she writes:
link provided below:

https://www.theguardian.com/…/global-intolerance-donald-tru…

"What can guide us through this cesspit? Cosmopolitanism. Art. Solidarity. Universal ethics. These might seem like fragile concepts, but they are ones that people have died for.
Jo Cox was killed on 16 June. As an MP, Cox fought for refugees, for Britain’s Muslim community, for Palestinians under siege in Gaza and for Syrians under barrel bombs in Aleppo. She took brave, unpopular stands, even breaking with her own party, because she did not believe that a foreign life was worth less than a British one.
On 22 June, the Taliban gunned down Amjad Sabri. Sabri was famous as a master of the qawwali, an exquisite, 800-year-old form of Sufi devotional music, whose complex, lyrical beauty brings listeners closer to God. Born on the subcontinent, the qawwali is one of Islam’s great contributions to culture, but to the Taliban, religion is only legitimate if its stripped of art. To them, qawwali singing represent a dangerous impurity – so they murdered one of it great practitioners.
They are dead. Worse, their deaths seem part of a great shrinking of the world, into one crueler, pettier, stupider and more violent – a world where machine gun towers seal off borders, kids drown in the Mediterranean, fanatics murder artists and orange jackasses trade in fear.
If there’s one note of hope, its this. History keeps moving. Tomorrow always comes, and we help shape what that tomorrow will be. An MP and a singer made the world larger just by living. We build the world by living too. In spaces large and small, we can fight for universal ethics, cosmopolitanism, art, solidarity. On the beaches of Lesbos, across the mud of borders, in the streets of Chicago, against our lovers’ lips."

https://www.theguardian.com/…/pakistani-sufi-singer-shot-de…

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. I can't bear to read much at the moment. I am lost for words and deeply saddened by all that is going on in our beautiful world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good strong words. These are dark times indeed, but humanity has faced almost endless strife in the past, and I have to believe we are continuing to try hard for peace and community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good words. Most days I feel I am powerless but for the love in my heart. I can be an influence of reason, of love, of hope, of compassion in only the world where I am. Perhaps it is not enough today....but it is all that I have to give.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are feeling a bit recovered from all the blows currently assailing love, common sense, a forwards-thinking world. I do believe God's kingdom will come, and is also here now, if not always apparent. There is still a huge amount of goodness. I agree with a spirit of simplicity, all we can do is act with love and as much peace as we can muster, within our own wee circle. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly it feels as though we are living in dark times :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dark times yes, as you read my post pray for us as I will pray for your intentions. Blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a little message to say I have nominated your wonderful blog for The Bloggers Recognition Award. It's a lovely place you have created and I'm glad to have found it.

    Ps; I was home schooled, so it's lovely to share in your own adventures with you family. xx

    Best wishes.
    Keep Calm and Start Writing ~
    www.23millymay25.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting. Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete

I treasure each and every one of your comments.
Your kind words never fail to bring a smile to my face:)
At the moment I am going through a busy season of life with 5 girls under my wing! I may not always be able to respond immediately but please know that every word left here is read and appreciated deeply.
xx