Friday, 12 August 2011

{Warning}... a month of poetry...

grandma_hands

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Jenny Joseph

photo credit "Grandma's Hands"



8 comments:

  1. I love the poem, but the photo of the hands is what does it for me! I see so much life that has been lived with these hands....simply beautiful!xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this poem. Relate-able in such a funny way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna get my eyebrow pierced when I'm an old woman. I plan to live till 109- so I figure I have plenty of time to live it up. How old is old, nowdays?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This poem and book both are among my absolute favorites. I gave a copy to my mom years ago and she still talks about it :). And the pairing with the picture, lovely :). Have a great weekend Suzy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Suzy. So glorious!! I completely love this one.

    And I am just drinking in this month of poetry. Thank you so much for hosting it, doing it, sharing it!

    Now I want to find the book MJ's talking about, filled with words by this beautiful poet, and just immerse myself…

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzy-your blog is so beautiful! I have been following in a reader so haven't seen your actual blog in awhile. Your header and layout are just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot express how much I LOVE this poem. I hope God gives me long life so I can be old and wear purple. And yes - I may start practicing now too :) Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Think I will just go ahead and wear my purple outfit tomororow! Time for bed so my red jammies will be my attire!
    Loved this post! and the photo is precious!

    ReplyDelete

I treasure each and every one of your comments.
Your kind words never fail to bring a smile to my face:)
At the moment I am going through a busy season of life with 5 girls under my wing! I may not always be able to respond immediately but please know that every word left here is read and appreciated deeply.
xx