Sunday 21 August 2011

{Two love Poems} ... a month of poetry...

Two poems that speak of the often unnoticed yet irreplaceable qualities that characterise attachment and love between two people.

To Dorothy

You are not beautiful, exactly.

You are beautiful, inexactly.

You let a weed grow by the mulberry

and a mulberry grow by the house.

So close, in the personal quiet

of a windy night, it brushes the wall

and sweeps away the day till we sleep.

A child said it, and it seemed true:

“Things that are lost are all equal.”

But it isn’t true. If I lost you,

the air wouldn’t move, nor the tree grow.

Someone would pull the weed, my flower.

The quiet wouldn’t be yours. If I lost you,

I’d have to ask the grass to let me sleep.

—Marvin Bell

DSC07177

and one similar....

She Dwelt Among the Untrodden Ways

She dwelt among the untrodden ways
Beside the springs of Dove,
Maid whom there were none to praise
And very few to love:

A violet by a mosy tone
Half hidden from the eye!
---Fair as a star, when only one
Is shining in the sky.

She lived unknown, and few could know
When Lucy ceased to be;
But she is in her grave, and, oh,
The difference to me!


~William Wordsworth

DSC03890
DSC03889DSC03886

DSC03908DSC03907DSC03905

2 comments:

  1. Suzy, I love that you are having a poetry month and sharing it with the rest of us. I love the poems, especially the first one. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow...that first poem is very beautiful. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

I treasure each and every one of your comments.
Your kind words never fail to bring a smile to my face:)
At the moment I am going through a busy season of life with 5 girls under my wing! I may not always be able to respond immediately but please know that every word left here is read and appreciated deeply.
xx